Mercedes-Benz Forums

Mercedes-Benz Forums (http://www.themercedesforums.com/)
-   SL Class (http://www.themercedesforums.com/sl-class/)
-   -   What is the difference between the SL500 and the SL500R ? (http://www.themercedesforums.com/sl-class/9455-difference-between-sl500-and-sl500r.html)

John 06-16-2006 02:10 PM

What is the difference between the SL500 and the SL500R ?
 
What is the difference between the SL500 and the SL500R ?
Please

OM 06-17-2006 08:14 AM

Re: What is the difference between the SL500 and the SL500R ?
 
No difference.

R is for roadster.

They are often the 'call letters' used by the sales personnel when
ordering, advertising, or processing the vehicles. Another example is V
and W in S500V or S500W denoting the wheelbase with V as long wheelbase
and W as standard wheelbase. Don't ask me why Mercedes-Benz choose those
crytpic call letters...

John wrote:
> What is the difference between the SL500 and the SL500R ?
> Please


Juergen . 06-20-2006 12:00 AM

Re: What is the difference between the SL500 and the SL500R ?
 
John wrote:
> What is the difference between the SL500 and the SL500R ?


As OM already said: None.

Plus here it is absolutely superfluous to add an R as a
500SL always is a Roadster.


But coming to the example mentioned by OM
_...S500V or S500W..._ it begins to make some sense,
although it is a mix-up of official sales denominations
and internal designations:

First a S500 can be some different models, e.g. the current
model line or the predecessor line.

That's why there are internal designations which make clear
which model it is - current S-Class = W221, predecessor = W220.
And furthermore there's differences within the model, e.g.
standard or long wheelbase.
So there is
W220 = S-Class, current model's predecessor, normal wheelbase
V220 = S-Class, current model's predecessor, long wheelbase
W221 = S-Class, current model, normal wheelbase
V221 = S-Class, current model, long wheelbase

W = Wagen = car (as in _passenger car_)
V = Verlaengert = lengthened = long wheelbase

BUT the system had it's changes over the years as well as
some inconsistencies, e.g. there is a W638 and a W638/2.


Coming back to the roadsters the system after WWII in the
beginning only used internal _W_ prefixes:

300 SL = W198 I (coupe with _gullwing doors_)
300 SL Roadster = W198 II

190 SL Roadster = W121 II
(aka _Nitribitt-Mercedes_)

230 SL /250 SL / 280 SL = W113 (_Pagode_, _pagoda_)

Often the above models are referred to as _R198_, _R121_
or _R113_ - and NO, I don't make any further comment about
the _experts_ doing so...

Only since the next model the internal designation system changed,
no more _W_:
280 SL/ 350 SL/ 450 SL/ 380 SL/ 500 SL/ 300 SL/ 420 SL/
500 SL and 560 SL = R107

(and all the models with an _SLC_ instead of an _SL_ are
coupes, in this case = longer wheelbase + fixed roof = C107
as they indeed are coupes)

300 SL/ 300 SL-24/ SL 280/ SL 320/ 500 SL/ SL 500/ 600 SL/
SL 600/ SL 60 AMG/ SL 55 AMG/ SL 73 AMG = R129 (predecessor of
current model)

SLK 200/ SLK 200 Kompressor / SLK 230 Kompressor = R170

SL 350/ SL 500 (SL 550 in North America)/ SL 600/ SL 55 AMG/
SL 65 AMG = R230 (current model)

SLK 200 Kompressor/ SLK 280/ SLK 350/ SLK 55 AMG = R171 (current model)

(and McLaren SLR is NOT _R199_, but _C199_, a coupe, no roadster)


BTW: Did I mention there's a third system, combining the series
with the engine displacement?
E.g. R129 E32 (320 SL/ SL 320).
And did I also mention from that system you cannot tell which it
is, an R129 E32 being a SL 320 (with straight six) or a SL 320
with V6-engine?

And did I mention there is a fourth system, exactly stating
what a car is? Model series and exact engine?
So a R129.063 has a stright-six and an R129.064 a V6?
And that a R129.063 can be from before and after the
face-lift in 1995?

So that one can add a MOPF to tell it is a face-lifted model?

....


Juergen W123.123
(All above from memory, so I may err here and there)

John 06-21-2006 06:20 PM

Re: What is the difference between the SL500 and the SL500R ?
 

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 02:00:41 +0200, "Juergen ." <jaguare@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>John wrote:
>> What is the difference between the SL500 and the SL500R ?

>
>As OM already said: None.
>
>Plus here it is absolutely superfluous to add an R as a
>500SL always is a Roadster.
>
>
>But coming to the example mentioned by OM
>_...S500V or S500W..._ it begins to make some sense,
>although it is a mix-up of official sales denominations
>and internal designations:
>
>First a S500 can be some different models, e.g. the current
>model line or the predecessor line.
>
>That's why there are internal designations which make clear
>which model it is - current S-Class = W221, predecessor = W220.
>And furthermore there's differences within the model, e.g.
>standard or long wheelbase.
>So there is
>W220 = S-Class, current model's predecessor, normal wheelbase
>V220 = S-Class, current model's predecessor, long wheelbase
>W221 = S-Class, current model, normal wheelbase
>V221 = S-Class, current model, long wheelbase
>
>W = Wagen = car (as in _passenger car_)
>V = Verlaengert = lengthened = long wheelbase
>
>BUT the system had it's changes over the years as well as
>some inconsistencies, e.g. there is a W638 and a W638/2.
>
>
>Coming back to the roadsters the system after WWII in the
>beginning only used internal _W_ prefixes:
>
>300 SL = W198 I (coupe with _gullwing doors_)
>300 SL Roadster = W198 II
>
>190 SL Roadster = W121 II
>(aka _Nitribitt-Mercedes_)
>
>230 SL /250 SL / 280 SL = W113 (_Pagode_, _pagoda_)
>
>Often the above models are referred to as _R198_, _R121_
>or _R113_ - and NO, I don't make any further comment about
>the _experts_ doing so...
>
>Only since the next model the internal designation system changed,
>no more _W_:
>280 SL/ 350 SL/ 450 SL/ 380 SL/ 500 SL/ 300 SL/ 420 SL/
>500 SL and 560 SL = R107
>
>(and all the models with an _SLC_ instead of an _SL_ are
>coupes, in this case = longer wheelbase + fixed roof = C107
>as they indeed are coupes)
>
>300 SL/ 300 SL-24/ SL 280/ SL 320/ 500 SL/ SL 500/ 600 SL/
>SL 600/ SL 60 AMG/ SL 55 AMG/ SL 73 AMG = R129 (predecessor of
>current model)
>
>SLK 200/ SLK 200 Kompressor / SLK 230 Kompressor = R170
>
>SL 350/ SL 500 (SL 550 in North America)/ SL 600/ SL 55 AMG/
>SL 65 AMG = R230 (current model)
>
>SLK 200 Kompressor/ SLK 280/ SLK 350/ SLK 55 AMG = R171 (current model)
>
>(and McLaren SLR is NOT _R199_, but _C199_, a coupe, no roadster)
>
>
>BTW: Did I mention there's a third system, combining the series
>with the engine displacement?
>E.g. R129 E32 (320 SL/ SL 320).
>And did I also mention from that system you cannot tell which it
>is, an R129 E32 being a SL 320 (with straight six) or a SL 320
>with V6-engine?
>
>And did I mention there is a fourth system, exactly stating
>what a car is? Model series and exact engine?
>So a R129.063 has a stright-six and an R129.064 a V6?
>And that a R129.063 can be from before and after the
>face-lift in 1995?
>
>So that one can add a MOPF to tell it is a face-lifted model?
>
>...
>
>
>Juergen W123.123
>(All above from memory, so I may err here and there)



Juergen W123.123
What a memory. You must be more then 50 with a memory upgrade of a 25.
I am going to print all, before my computer crashes and loses that
very useful information
Thanks
John


OM 06-24-2006 07:43 PM

Re: What is the difference between the SL500 and the SL500R ?
 
And to throw in more confusion...

They are referred to the current model range which is for 2006.

The Europeans have 500 designation for its 5,5-litre V8 motor whilst the
Americans have 550. Anyone care to explain why it is so? Perhaps Ferrari
said, 'not so fast', because it had 550 Maranello? Or 500 is considered
a sacred number?

280 CDI and 320 CDI are the same displacement of three litres, but the
former is a detuned version.

450 is actually 4,7-litre V8.

400 CDI is actually 4,2-litre V8. It was thought that Mercedes-Benz
would supersede its amazing 4-litre V8 diesel (400 CDI), but it stuck
with 400 CDI designation whilst puffing up the V8 motor to 4,2-litre.

55 AMG is actually 5,4-litre V8. (The 5,5-litre V8 motor fitted to the
W126 in 1980s is designated as 560). Mercedes-Benz must have some
aversion toward 550 number...

63 AMG is actually 6,2-litre V8 with poetic licence of adopting 6,3
designation in tribute of AMG's first modified 300SEL 6,3 for racing.
Yes, it was used for a short-lived 6,3-litre V12 motor producing 444
horsepowers: a precursor to 612-horsepower V12 in 65 AMG.

65 AMG is 6-litre V12 motor. Is it because Volvo staked the claim on S60
for its mid-range saloon?

That's all I can think of without doing some more research...

Oliver

Germany won the World Cup in 1954, 1974, and 1990. If you multiply 54 by
74, you get 3996 for answer. And if you subract 3996 by 1990, you get
2006. Could this be indication who will win World Cup 2006?

Juergen . wrote:
> John wrote:
>> What is the difference between the SL500 and the SL500R ?

>
> As OM already said: None.
>
> Plus here it is absolutely superfluous to add an R as a
> 500SL always is a Roadster.
>
>
> But coming to the example mentioned by OM
> _...S500V or S500W..._ it begins to make some sense,
> although it is a mix-up of official sales denominations
> and internal designations:
>
> First a S500 can be some different models, e.g. the current
> model line or the predecessor line.
>
> That's why there are internal designations which make clear
> which model it is - current S-Class = W221, predecessor = W220.
> And furthermore there's differences within the model, e.g.
> standard or long wheelbase.
> So there is
> W220 = S-Class, current model's predecessor, normal wheelbase
> V220 = S-Class, current model's predecessor, long wheelbase
> W221 = S-Class, current model, normal wheelbase
> V221 = S-Class, current model, long wheelbase
>
> W = Wagen = car (as in _passenger car_)
> V = Verlaengert = lengthened = long wheelbase
>
> BUT the system had it's changes over the years as well as
> some inconsistencies, e.g. there is a W638 and a W638/2.
>
>
> Coming back to the roadsters the system after WWII in the
> beginning only used internal _W_ prefixes:
>
> 300 SL = W198 I (coupe with _gullwing doors_)
> 300 SL Roadster = W198 II
>
> 190 SL Roadster = W121 II
> (aka _Nitribitt-Mercedes_)
>
> 230 SL /250 SL / 280 SL = W113 (_Pagode_, _pagoda_)
>
> Often the above models are referred to as _R198_, _R121_
> or _R113_ - and NO, I don't make any further comment about
> the _experts_ doing so...
>
> Only since the next model the internal designation system changed,
> no more _W_:
> 280 SL/ 350 SL/ 450 SL/ 380 SL/ 500 SL/ 300 SL/ 420 SL/
> 500 SL and 560 SL = R107
>
> (and all the models with an _SLC_ instead of an _SL_ are
> coupes, in this case = longer wheelbase + fixed roof = C107
> as they indeed are coupes)
>
> 300 SL/ 300 SL-24/ SL 280/ SL 320/ 500 SL/ SL 500/ 600 SL/
> SL 600/ SL 60 AMG/ SL 55 AMG/ SL 73 AMG = R129 (predecessor of
> current model)
>
> SLK 200/ SLK 200 Kompressor / SLK 230 Kompressor = R170
>
> SL 350/ SL 500 (SL 550 in North America)/ SL 600/ SL 55 AMG/
> SL 65 AMG = R230 (current model)
>
> SLK 200 Kompressor/ SLK 280/ SLK 350/ SLK 55 AMG = R171 (current model)
>
> (and McLaren SLR is NOT _R199_, but _C199_, a coupe, no roadster)
>
>
> BTW: Did I mention there's a third system, combining the series
> with the engine displacement?
> E.g. R129 E32 (320 SL/ SL 320).
> And did I also mention from that system you cannot tell which it
> is, an R129 E32 being a SL 320 (with straight six) or a SL 320
> with V6-engine?
>
> And did I mention there is a fourth system, exactly stating
> what a car is? Model series and exact engine?
> So a R129.063 has a stright-six and an R129.064 a V6?
> And that a R129.063 can be from before and after the
> face-lift in 1995?
>
> So that one can add a MOPF to tell it is a face-lifted model?
>
> ...
>
>
> Juergen W123.123
> (All above from memory, so I may err here and there)


Harri Markkula 06-25-2006 09:45 AM

Re: What is the difference between the SL500 and the SL500R ?
 
> That's all I can think of without doing some more research...

Or should it also be mentioned there was dirrerent 12- and 24-valve
versions of at least 3 litre engines in early 90's.

Reg: Harri



Dori A Schmetterling 06-25-2006 09:07 PM

Re: What is the difference between the SL500 and the SL500R ?
 
No. Argentina (or Brazil) for ever...

:-)
DAS

For direct contact replace nospam with schmetterling
---

"OM" <om@none.net> wrote in message
news:KJ-dnfEQr8ZqCADZnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@pcisys.net...
[...]
>
> Germany won the World Cup in 1954, 1974, and 1990. If you multiply 54 by
> 74, you get 3996 for answer. And if you subract 3996 by 1990, you get
> 2006. Could this be indication who will win World Cup 2006?

[...]




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.