Mercedes-Benz Car Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

300D won't shut off!

 
David Streb
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2003
My 1987 300D turbodiesel won't shut off all of a sudden. It keeps running
after I turn the key off, although it runs rough, like it's trying to shut
off, but keeps dieseling. The windows and door locks all work OK, so I
don't think I have a vacuum leak. What could be the problem? I'm gonna get
real sick of opening the hood and hitting the kill switch!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike \Rotor\ Nowak
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2003
The last time I had this happen, the vacuum link to the shut off unit was
loose. Plugged that hose back in proper, and the car shuts off perfectly.
I'd check that vacuum link first, then start trying to find your culprit if
it's not that simple.

Sure scared the begeebus out of me!

Mike

"David Streb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IOJ1b.1612$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My 1987 300D turbodiesel won't shut off all of a sudden. It keeps running
> after I turn the key off, although it runs rough, like it's trying to shut
> off, but keeps dieseling. The windows and door locks all work OK, so I
> don't think I have a vacuum leak. What could be the problem? I'm gonna

get
> real sick of opening the hood and hitting the kill switch!
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
German Star
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2003
You probably need a new shut-off valve. They're inexpensive and readily available.

Ron
http://germanstar.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Streb
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2003
Would that vacuum hose be right on top? Why would my windows and door locks
still work then?
And if it's a new shut off valve, is that right on top, too and easy to get
to?

"Mike "Rotor" Nowak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i9N1b.4825$n94.1535@fed1read04...
> The last time I had this happen, the vacuum link to the shut off unit was
> loose. Plugged that hose back in proper, and the car shuts off perfectly.
> I'd check that vacuum link first, then start trying to find your culprit

if
> it's not that simple.
>
> Sure scared the begeebus out of me!
>
> Mike
>
> "David Streb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:IOJ1b.1612$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My 1987 300D turbodiesel won't shut off all of a sudden. It keeps

running
> > after I turn the key off, although it runs rough, like it's trying to

shut
> > off, but keeps dieseling. The windows and door locks all work OK, so I
> > don't think I have a vacuum leak. What could be the problem? I'm gonna

> get
> > real sick of opening the hood and hitting the kill switch!
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike \Rotor\ Nowak
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2003
David,

I had no problems with my windows or locks when I had my shut off valve
vacuum line loose... but I'm not positive I tried them. I'm pretty sure the
line is on the top of the shutoff unit... it's the only vacuum line running
to that whole pod by the manual shutoff lever. I just shoved it in nice and
tight and it started working. However, my windows and locks may have been
amiss but I never noticed -- not sure. I'd check the connection, maybe
throw on a new elbow fitting just to be sure... $1 or less in parts and 10
seconds in labor is worth it!

I'll disconnect my line like it was this afternoon and see if my windows and
locks still work, if you haven't figured things out by then.

Mike

"David Streb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E_Q1b.12178$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Would that vacuum hose be right on top? Why would my windows and door

locks
> still work then?
> And if it's a new shut off valve, is that right on top, too and easy to

get
> to?
>
> "Mike "Rotor" Nowak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i9N1b.4825$n94.1535@fed1read04...
> > The last time I had this happen, the vacuum link to the shut off unit

was
> > loose. Plugged that hose back in proper, and the car shuts off

perfectly.
> > I'd check that vacuum link first, then start trying to find your culprit

> if
> > it's not that simple.
> >
> > Sure scared the begeebus out of me!
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "David Streb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:IOJ1b.1612$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > My 1987 300D turbodiesel won't shut off all of a sudden. It keeps

> running
> > > after I turn the key off, although it runs rough, like it's trying to

> shut
> > > off, but keeps dieseling. The windows and door locks all work OK, so

I
> > > don't think I have a vacuum leak. What could be the problem? I'm

gonna
> > get
> > > real sick of opening the hood and hitting the kill switch!
> > >
> > >

> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
f.maessen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2003
"David Streb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<IOJ1b.1612$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> My 1987 300D turbodiesel won't shut off all of a sudden. It keeps running
> after I turn the key off, although it runs rough, like it's trying to shut
> off, but keeps dieseling. The windows and door locks all work OK, so I
> don't think I have a vacuum leak. What could be the problem? I'm gonna get
> real sick of opening the hood and hitting the kill switch!


I had both the vacuumpump and the shut-off valve replaced; now
everything works fine.
Total cost in a non mercedes workshop 350 euro
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ENgine will not shut off on my 1984 Mercedes 300D turbo Terry E Class 10 02-16-2007 02:38 AM
85 300D Fuel Shut Off x E Class 1 01-02-2007 11:31 PM
Soft shut (closing aid) on W140 Mehmet Sanliol General Motoring 1 06-03-2004 02:04 AM
Ignition Shut off Stuart @ home General Motoring 2 11-06-2003 08:57 PM
HELP! My engine won't shut off on 83 300d kovi E Class 4 07-14-2003 08:34 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:34 PM.